I just got back from the Colorado Youth Football Coaching Clinic hosted by our league. I was very impressed with the clinic. We spent two hours outside learning position drills and 2 hours of classroom. Here are a few tidbits I picked at the youth football coaches clinic:
- When you call slant, line the d-line up on the O-lineman not in the gap, that way you take up two blockers when you slant.
- For the D-End or tackle to defend against a trap block meet the block with the inside forearm and then punch the chest bone with the other hand then reset back into the gap or area.
- If your Defensive lineman is losing a double team, have him grab the jerseys of the two blockers and pull them down on top of him, this way they can’t attack the Linebackers. (I don’t like grabbing / holding the defensiveman but he should try to bring them both down in some fashion)
- When the defensive linemen swim through a double team have them elbow the blockers in the back as he pushes past. (I don’t like the elbow but he should push the player as he pushes past.)
- Always warm-up your Linebackers with sprints, shuffles, cones etc.
- Eyes should always be up looking for ball
- Always finish drills with a form tackle in thud mode. Do not let them walk to end of line. Have a strong finish.
- Middle Linebacker should key tailback (key back) and mirror steps.
- If counter play, LB should track back steps and not run down the line otherwise he will get caught inside traffic.
- 99% of time, play will run toward the pulling guards pull route.
- Offensive lineman are the smartest players on the field.
- Offensive Linemen should be the baddest and most determined players on the field.
- Play GEL – Get Off, Engage, and use leverage.
- Use the mirror drill for pass blocking, two line shuffle right and left.
- Use the same mirror drill set up but do punches.
- QB must also make someone miss on a pass, not every player can be blocked all the time.
- O-Lineman pass blocking should pretend a camera is on their butts and the camera should always be pointing at QB
Hope these help.
Play for FUN and Winning is FUNNER!