Coaching Team Defense in Youth Football
I just finished reading Coach Fritz Shurmur’s outstanding book Coaching Team Defense . This is a must read for any defensive coach. It’s a 100 pages of pure defensive gold. I read it one afternoon and cannot stop thinking about the book. Here are some top points out of the book.
- #1 Objective for Defense is to keep Opponent from Scoring
- Must coach players to be physical, speed and simple schemes so minimum thinking.
- Practice drills should be like game situations
- Must play hard every play and play as a team
- Defense must make tackles in offensive backfield, play on their side of the ball
- The use of Hands on defense is the most important skill
- Most important part of tackling is to grab and hang on to ball carrier
- You become in games what you practice
- Every practice should have individual position time to teach position technique
- If the receiver beats the DB, the DB should cover and focus on receivers hands
The book is full of these great defensive football points. Try the library or Amazon and read Coach Shurmur’s Coaching Team Defense
Ft. Worth Texas / Keller
I have enjoyed reading this material. i coach in a small leauge in iowa. A year ago we got flooded out and lost alotof equipment etc. Our school system does not have alot of money. i was wondering if there is any sites or places u
may know oftohelp u out. thanks