If you are like me, you are starting to think about your next youth football season and developing your plans. Since we play Spring ball here in Keller, TX, we’ve already had a few coaches meetings . What did we do right, wrong, and should have done?
It seems like each season after these meetings and before tough games, I will pull out one of the books below and reference one or two things, or just re-read or scan the book again for ideas and or answers. I probably have 50 or so books in my youth football library, but these are my favorites and trusted stand bys:
- The Toss by Jerry Vallotton
- Coaching Offensive Lineman by Dave Christensen
- Coaching Team Defense by Fritz Shurmur
- Directory of Football Defenses by Drew Tallman
- Complete Book of Drills for Winning Football - Michael D. Koehler
- Coaching Youth Football by John T. Reed
- Winning Youth Football – Dave Cisar
- Coaching Football by Tom Flores
- Football Scouting Methods by Steve Belichick
- Football; principles and play by David M Nelson
I usually buy these books used on Amazon. I wait until I can get a good copy for around $10 plus shipping. Many of these books are out of print and sometimes demand a high price. Wait a few months and you may find a copy on Amazon or Ebay. Also, Google the author and they may have an old copy for sale or an ebook copy.
Yes, I know many of these books are older books. But think about it, youth football is mainly a running game like football was in its early days before passing became so popular in the mid 1970′s. Trust me these are great football books. This is my top 10 best coaching youth football books as of today.
Have a great New Year.
Keller, Texas / Ft. Worth, TX / DFW